Sunday 24 July 2011

Kind of day 1

Well, this should be interesting.  And I should start at the beginning.  I met a guy at a role playing club I recently started going to.  He's into all sorts of stuff and showed me some of the wargaming minatures he's painted.  Now, before this, I hadn't even thought about getting into this kind of stuff.  It was one of those dark areas which you hear about but never know anyone who actually does it.  I'd only ever stood in front of Games Workshop and looked in the window thinking, "What on earth are they doing?"  So anyway, said friend lent be a copy of the Hordes rule book.  I had a flick through and thought, "Oooo shiny!"  So now my friend is guiding me in the steps to start painting these Hordes miniatures.
I started off by buying a warpack which included one warlock, and 3 warbeasts.  Here's the link to the official webby  My mate helped me put them together since they come in pieces and base coated them all black.  Left to my own devices I probably could have done this but would have taken me an age in comparison. 
This afternoon we actually started painting them.  We'd had a trip to Cardiff last week and purchased a variety of paints.  I borrowed a couple of brushes off him and bought one of my own.  We started off with the skin of the Argii (the 2 headed wolves/dogs).  We did this in a couple of coats of Citadel Colours Graveyard Earth.  This will need to be highlighted etc later but its at least a place to start,  After this had dried we mixed some Game Colors Glorious Gold with a little Goblin Green.  This offset the yellowness of the gold to just tone it back a little.  This was painted over the armour for the detail round it.  That's had 2 coats and needs a third.  I might end up doing that tonight but depends since I'm knackered :)  Once that's done I'm going to start working on the fur and touching up the straps on the armour before painting that.
All in all it seems like I'm off to a decent start.  At least I have an experienced friend on hand to help out.  Otherwise I'd be a bit lost.  I mean I do have GW's "How to Paint Ciatdel Minatures" but it's still good to have a range of advice.  That's also what the interwebs is for!
Anyway, I shall get round to taking some photo's an hopefully adding them here.

Edit: As promised, here are the pics so far 




No comments:

Post a Comment